Friday, May 1, 2015

Assessment Questions

  • Which in class writing was your favorite? Why?
  • My favorite writing was probably the Pigeon Impossible perspective writing. I thought it was fun to challenge our creativity and come up with a unique way of telling the same story. 

  • Which in class writing was your least favorite? Why?
  • My least favorite writing was the vocabulary assignment we had with our groups. It was very hard to incorporate other peoples' slang into my own style of writing.

  • Review all your writing chronologically (earliest to latest). List three interesting observations or changes in your writing. Which are the most profound (obvious and important)? Why?
  • By the end of the semester, I was writing with more detail and emotion. I think this was the most profound because it is important for a writer to incorporate emotion and detail in their writing in order to put the audience in the correct mindset and to make them feel whatever the author had intended to make them feel. I had stopped using so many quotation marks (I'm not sure why I used so many to begin with though, but I noticed I was writing less and less, probably because I was over thinking the assignment and was trying to incorporate the skills we worked on. 

  • If you could change anything about your writing this semester what would it be? Why?
  • If I could change one thing about my writing this semester it would be my fear of making mistakes and my love of the backspace button. We were instructed to never backspace, but it is second nature to want to only produce "flawless" writings. Although I have improved on it, I still need a lot of practice when it comes to brain-dumps and flowing through my thoughts without interruption.

  • What did you like best about this course?
  • I liked the fact that we worked on a lot of different topics and practiced necessary writing skills but in a fun way. Things like group work, putting the gobstopper story back together from pictures, using an animated video, comedy routines, and motivational speakers to get a point across, venturing outside of the classroom to people-watch-- I much prefer these strategies over the traditional lecture/essay style of most English classes.

  • What did you like least about this course?
  • The worst part about this course was the group assignment about sex education. It was an interesting assignment and I understand the purpose was to teach us about audience and altering material to make it audience-appropriate, BUT I don't feel that my group really grasped the concept of the presentation and didn't really take it seriously. I felt that only a couple of us did any of the actual work, and the people who assembled the slideshow with the material that the rest of us found, did not include all of the information and altered a lot of it, too.

  • What would you have done differently this semester if you could have a do-over?
  • I would have saved more of my pre-writes in different files. A lot of my pre-writes are more than one day's worth of writing, so it looks like I didn't do much writing, when in actuality, I worked in the same file for more than one day. I would have saved separate drafts of my papers, as well, instead of working on the original file until I liked the way it sounded. I also would have come to school the day of my nursing interview instead of accidentally falling back asleep and missing this class the day we were assigned to read the book.

  • What did you learn about yourself as a student, a thinker, a writer this semester?
  • I learned that I am a very hesitant writer. I over-think assignments and prompts and am very slow to start. I also have realized that I am a very sleepy, stressed-out person at this point in my life which has affected my attendance. I've been under a lot of pressure this semester with trying to get into nursing school, trying to maintain an A in all of my classes (including Anatomy and Physiology), and working my job at Target. I realized that I have slept through a lot of my classes this semester due to all-nighters and being overall exhausted. I need to make sure I am going to class instead of sleeping during the day.

  • What could I, Ms. A., have done differently to improve the course?
  • I wouldn't have done anything differently, if I were you.

  • You begin this course with an engagement and participation score of an A.  Attendance, participation in activities and group work help you to maintain this grade.  Evaluate yourself and assign yourself a grade for the in class portion of this course.  Don’t forget the reasoning behind your self assigned grade.
  • I would give myself an A. I feel that I actively participated in all of the group work and have learned a lot about myself as a writer and what I need to improve when it comes to my writing.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice reflection, Teran. Keep writing and keep pushing yourself to think outside of those around you. Have a good summer. ~Ms. A.

    ReplyDelete